Wednesday, December 31, 2014

after party excitement

As you know I have a cute little mini schnauzer female, Breeze. We also had a male, Captain, who has since found a new home with a man who had lost his schnauzer of 16 years, last year. Breeze and Captain were expecting puppies earlier this month. She was actually due Dec 18. I had been taking her temp and hovering over her for a week. I was pretty sure she would pick the worst day to have them. lol. So I wasn't surprised when the morning of the Christmas party, her temp had dropped to 97 degrees, and we knew we would have puppies that day. December 16. I spent all day getting ready for the party, while hovering over Breeze. I told her not to have them until after the party so I could be there. The last person left a little after 9 pm. I went and let Breeze out of her whelping area, to potty. I went to the kitchen to clean up. She came in the house, came in the kitchen, and sat there looking at me and panting. I said, "Breezo, is it time?" she smiled, and headed back to her area, looking ove rher shoulder all the way, to make sure I was coming. She wenI t right into the big closet and started into active labor.
  
She labored for a while, then started to push out the first pup. But just like last time, the puppy got stuck! It was a very scary 50 minutes as I waited and then started to pray silently. Then I started praying aloud as only two back feet had been visable for quite some time, and she was getting tired. I grabbed the paws. nothing was moving. Thankfully I had been reading up on such things.
  I ended up turning poor Breeze upside down and jiggling the puppy back inside, and she rotated just enough that Breeze ws able to push her out a little more. I grabbed the pups haunches and had to pull amazingly hard!!! But out came a gorgeous, healthy black and silver female, Noel.

The next female was a salt and pepper, Gingerbread.

The third had to be pulled a little bit, but was a healthy black and silver female, Prancer. d
Thank goodness all is well. The puppies are growing so fast. They are two weeks old now. Eyes are open and they eat constantly. Breeze is  a very good mama.
So now we have three AKC miniature schnauzer puppies that are for sale and will need a new home the week before Valentines day.

No comments:

Post a Comment